Mom's Barley Soup
- 2 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 big marrow bones or what is now called- "beef oxtails"
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 5 carrots sliced in 3/8' or so rounds
- 5 stalks celery sliced in 1/4" pieces
- 1 Small can Tomato Sauce
- 2 pounds of Chuck Steak trimmed and cut in small bite sized pieces
- 1 Package Knorr Spring Vegetables
- 1 cup pearled barley
Heat the olive oil in a large pot like a Le Creuset. Add the oxtails/marrow bones along with a generous amount of salt and pepper.Add the onions, carrots and celery, to the oil in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
medium high heat for 5 minutes or so; make sure no red left in the meat. Return the oxtails to the pot, add 1 teaspoon each of of salt and pepper. Add one small can of tomato sauce
Add enough water to about 1 1/2" below top of pot Add one package of the Knorr Spring Vegetables Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour or longer if you have time. Longer is never bad.
Taste soup, adjust seasonings, add barley, cover and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes. When soup is done, remove the marrow bones and serve on a plate with a good crusty bread. Dig your knife down into the bone, spread the absolutely scrumptious and somewhat decadent marrow generously and enjoy!